Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mr. Mayor members of Council

Tonight I am part of a group that is presenting a new model for citizen engagement to the Town Council. I am both really excited and nervous at the same time. I am confident that I know the information that I will be talking about, which is good. I was able to go into the council chambers and practice yesterday, making sure that my presentation loaded correctly and that the animations were right. It was nice since it made it a LITTLE less intimidating. When you are sitting in the audience the council looks very high up and scary, but when you are standing at the podium where the computer is, its not as scary. They are closer and not as high up as it looks when sitting in the audience. I am thankful for Jocelyn Bronson for helping me prepare both the PowerPoint and the set up. She and the Town Manager, Gilbert Davidson, are part of the presentation as well, which is again comforting, knowing that they will be able to jump in should I get stuck on a question or am confusing.

I will have to remember the etiquette when addressing them....Mr. Mayor, Council Member X...answer to the question. We are just asking them to direct Town staff to continue with research and planning for this new model, so its not like there will be changes to the Town Code or new Ordinances or anything....so as far as impact to the community as a whole, its fairly small. That does not mean that I am not taking this seriously in anyway. I have been preparing for weeks, and am glad that we are able to get a decision on whether Council likes this and wants to continue with it. I hope so, I think it will be a really cool new way to get citizens involved on issues that are highly important to the community.

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment